Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Chidbirth Prep: Pregnancy and exercise

        So the second trimester is moving along and I am realizing that I am behind in the exercise department. I have a pretty physical job as a nurses assistant so I had it in my mind that my job would keep me in shape while I am pregnant. Romantic thinking. Being healthy and fit while pregnant is slightly different than when you are not carrying a baby.
        You're back hurts more, you have to squat more carefully, doing anything on your belly is out of the question, and you can get out of breath really fast. I'm not kidding. I get winded just going up the 3 flights of stairs to my apartment, let alone going to the gym. Not only is staying in shape and watching excess weight gain important but it is also connected with how smoothly your labor will go barring any medical complications. I've said before that labor and delivery is like a race you have to train for and that's how exercising fits in. Preparing your body and stretching those muscles is SUPER important.

Exercises to try:
  • Butterfly sit: sit on the ground against the couch or the wall. bring your feet together like a butterfly and gently press down on both knees to help you pelvis open and stretch
  • Hip Sway: either while standing or on all fours, sway your hips back and fourth
  • Squats
  • Stretching towards the sky:extend your arms and whole body upwards, as if you are reaching for something on the top shelf. 
  • Prenatal Yoga: either find a gym that offers it or you can find plenty at your local library
  • Cat stretch: get down on your hands and knees and arch your back towards the ceiling. Then do the opposite and a cat as though you are trying to touch the floor with your belly. DO NOT LAY DOWN FLAT ON YOUR BELLY! 
         Currently I am walking when the weather permits and getting outside with the dog is fun too :) As I have past the halfway mark it is progressively getting harder and harder to do things but the goal is to keep pressing on and always remembering to rest when I need to. Rest is as important as exercise during pregnancy. Because when that baby comes sleep will become an after thought.... or at least that's what I'm told. :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment