Friday, March 14, 2014

Building my Stash: Newborn Cloth



So excited! Today I received my order of newborn diapers from amazon.com. I ordered 1 Grovia AIO and 2 Rumparooz Diaper covers. The Rumparooz will be used with prefolds (Like what your mother or grandma used).  The cover can be wiped off on the inside which allows it to be used multiple times before needing to be washed. My husband could not stop laughing with how excited I was, pulling them out of the box, and testing them out on the build-a-bear we have.

 I have been skeptical about buying newborn cloth but then I really thought about the fact that they fit 4lbs up to 15lbs. I can overlap using newborns and my regular one-size diapers until he out grows the newborns. PLUS, while in the hospital I can use the newborns with disposable inserts to save on being charged for the diapers they provide during your stay. I know it seems silly and not a huge reason but all those things add up in the end. 

Cloth diapering does not have to be exclusive; this is just the route we are deciding to take. Some parents don't start CD until their child is a month old, some do it only when at home (i.e. not at daycare, Church, or at grandma's house). Some parents start CD when they bring their newborn home and some begin from day one. It's all your comfort level. I want to dive in head first and tackle it all from day one. Doing your research and being prepared is probably the best tip I can find no matter what blog or article I have come across. 
Newborn All-in-one cloth diaper

To diaper a newborn you need about 12 changes per day. So, If you do laundry every other day you need at least 24 diapers plus a few extra. If you use diaper covers, they can stretch at least 3 changes. All you need do is grab a new prefold and wipe any wetness out of the cover. This is a great option for newborns because prefolds will fit snugly around those little newborn thighs. AIO, AI2, and pocket diapers also come in newborn size. Almost every brand of cloth diaper also sells a newborn counterpart.Below are a few different folds for a prefold under a cover. 


No comments:

Post a Comment