Saturday, March 8, 2014

Week 24 update


Week 24 Update

This week has been Hum Drum and mostly work related; however, my belly is ever-growing. Ayden has become more and more noticeable when he kicks and rolls around inside my belly. He has grown to the size of a cantaloupe this week. Cannot believe he is already that big! Knowing that I am assisting God in a miracle is an amazing and humbling thing to think about.
Today we went on a tour of Labor and Delivery at the Hospital we are using for Ayden’s birth. This Hospital also happens to be where I work which is pretty neat as well. We got there and they parted us into two groups. We were part of the first group to go on the tour and off we went. They took us to the Baby Floor and showed us around. There are two sides; The Labor and Delivery side and the Mother and Baby unit. First, they walked us through triage and took us into a delivery room. The guide showed us where we could find everything in the room and what all the machines and hookups are for. She talked us through the order in which everything will happen when we arrive at the hospital and are taken to the delivery room. Fetal monitoring, procedures for baby after he is born, the “chain of command” so to speak, how many people we can have in the room, etc. When she asked if we had any questions, people asked about what we will be charged for, how long do we stay in the hospital, what about birth plans, and so on. She emphasized that if you have a birth plan to make sure you talk it over with your doctor and get everything approved so you know. When I asked if there was a birthing tub, which I thought was an ok and completely appropriate question to ask, her answer was, “This is a hospital dear, make sure you get your birth plan approved.” I was floored by her condescending tone and facial expressions. As if that was a stupid question for me to ask. It made me feel very much put down. NOT IMPRESSED. With the new campaign my hospital is putting on about mother and baby centered care  and the “birth experience is all about you,” one would think that this question has been asked before. Apparently not. After that I decided I would bring all my questions to my doctor whom I know would not make me feel incompetent for asking ANY question I have. Alright off my soap box. After Labor and delivery, she walked us to the other side where we would go with baby after the birth and 2 hour recovery time. This is the mother and baby unit that is locked down. To enter and exit you have to check in with security which I think is AWESOME! No random people wandering in and out unchecked. This is because now they have your baby room-in with you all the time. So the babies no longer go to a nursery ever. They stay with mom and dad at all times. In light of this all the rooms are private. This is an aspect I am very happy about. They had tons of pictures of cute babies and such on every wall. Overall the unit seems very cheery and uplifting.  
My next doctor’s appointment is in a week and a half. March 18th. I also do my Glucose tolerance test that day to check for gestational diabetes. That is a “fun” hour-long deal where you have to drink this thick, sugary syrup in 5 minutes time and get your blood drawn 1 hour later. Hope that goes well. I know God will help me through whatever this pregnancy throws at me.
My birth plan is coming along. I am almost done, but re-writing a few things now that I know the layout of the room and what will be available. It scares me a little that our tour guide basically told me if I have a birth plan then I will be fighting for what I want and to be ready for that. I don’t want this to be something I battle over. I just want my wants and desires for my birth to be made known. So there isn’t any confusion. It makes me feel like I will need to be demanding and hateful and that no one will understand why I want things a certain way. Whatever the case may be, I will have my husband and best friend at my side and I pray it will all go smoothly. I’ve actually started praying for the labor nurse who will work with us.    
Well, it's that time again. Grocery shopping time. Have a blessed day :) 




For the next chapter and
To continue reading along Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment